I think I can sum up this week in two words: Beast Mode. The Seahawks capped a fantastic week in Washington sports that included a perfect basketball record, an extraordinary coach leaving Stanford and an extraordinary quarterback staying at Stanford, Edgar Martinez getting denied for a Hall of Fame bid and... Oh yeah... A national championship.
Monday, Jan 3rd
Does your head hurt? I don't think you're alone. Today was the day after the celebration. Yes, that's right, your Seattle Seahawks just came off the biggest win of the year and are headed to playoff. SB Nation Seattle had you covered, so that you didn't have to think very hard during your "We're going to the playoffs" hangover:
- Brian Floyd passed along a curious omission on the NFL's playoff listings
- The Rams vs. Seahawks Sunday Night Football had the highest SNF ratings since 2002
- We also took a look at the 2011 NFL schedules
Tuesday, Jan 4th
Ah, Tuesday... Remember Tuesday? The Carolina Panthers were hoping visions of Andrew Luck dancing in their heads would come true, Edgar Martinez was going through his day hopeful that the next morning would bring a call from the baseball Hall or Fame, and Abdul Gaddy was hopeful that he'd have a good game on Thursday. Remember Tuesday? Things looked so good on Tuesday.
- On Tuesday, The Carolina Panthers were salivating over Andrew Luck; stay tuned for Thursday
- The Seahawks saw a glimmer of hope as, not one, but two Saints running backs landed on the IR
- The Cougars got off to a slow start, but Husky Coach Romar had some kind words for them
Wednesday, Jan 5th
Remember Tuesday? Well forget it. Tuesday was the day of hope, Wednesday was the day of hopes being shattered.
- No one really thought that he had a shot, but Edgar Martinez was closed out of the Hall of Fame for a second straight year
- Premier Husky guard Abdul Gaddy tore his ACL and is out for the whole season
- Washington State guard Reggie Moore was busted for marijuana possession, but as it turns out, he had already been disciplined by the team.
Thursday, Jan 6th
Wait... They actually play the games? Thursday brought us our first taste of game action of the week, and it also gave us some shocking news about one potentially high draft pick
Results: MBB: Washington Huskies def. Oregon Ducks (87-69), Seattle University Red Hawks def. Eastern Washington Eagles (60-51), Washington State Cougars def. Oregon State Beavers (84-70) [Covered by CougCenter]
- Charlie Whitehurst played well enough to bring a playoff berth to Seattle, but Matt Hasselbeck would start in that playoff game
- The curse of Tuesday hope strikes again... Sorry Panthers, Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford
- Larry Scott, the new Pac-12 commissioner, struck a $25 Million with FOX for the Pac-12 title game
Friday, Jan 7th
Results: FCS Football: Eastern Washington Eagles def. Delaware Blue Hens (20-19)
- I draw a close to Eastern's magical comeback by looking at highlights and reaction from around the country
- The biggest controversy of the year, possibly even of the century, was discovered: Qwest Field Beer Gate
- Jim Harbaugh broke hearts all around the country, especially ones in Palo Alto, by signing with the 49ers
Saturday, Jan 8th
No one gave the Seahawks a shot. They were the largest home underdogs in playoff history, but the game isn't played on paper. A full day of Washington basketball filled the schedule, but The Seahawks ended up taking center stage.
Results: MBB: Washington Huskies def. Oregon State Beavers (103-72), Gonzaga Bulldogs def. Portland Pilots (74-61) [Covered by The Slipper Still Fits], Seattle University Red Hawks def. Cal State Northridge Matadors (65-58) [Covered by The Seattle Times], Washington State Cougars def. Oregon Ducks (77-63)) [Covered by CougCenter] NFL Playoffs: Seattle Seahawks def. New Orleans Saints (41-36)