The Seattle Mariners are currently 18 games into their Spring Training season with two final games on Tuesday and Wednesday before departing for two exhibition games in Japan and finally opening day against the Oakland Athletics on on March 28th.
Currently with an 11-7 record in the Cactus League, the Mariners are three games back from first place. Here are some notable statistical totals from the Mariners:
- In 11 games, outfielder Carlos Peguero leads the team with three home runs, but also has struck out a team-high 13 times.
- In 13 games, third baseman Alex Liddi leads the team with nine runs scored with a line of .393/.485/.689. Liddi is making a strong case for himself to be added as a bench player to the 25-man roster. He'll have to beat out Kyle Seager who currently has more big league experience.
- Despite missing a few games due to illness, Jesus Montero leads the team with 10 RBIs. Montero, the projected starter at catcher for the Mariners is expected to produce offensively and be a mainstay in the middle of the order this upcoming season.
- In three appearances, Mariners starter Jason Vargas has surrendered 12 runs through 8.1 innings. Though the number is alarming, spring training is often used as a tool to improve certain pitches or experiment on the mound. Winning games and statistics are not the priority for established pitchers like Vargas.
- Felix Hernandez has pitched like a King this spring. In three starts, King Felix has struck out a team-high13 batters and has only allowed five hits in 13 innings pitched.
To talk more Mariners baseball, head on over to Lookout Landing.