The MLB First-Year Player Draft begins on Monday, and the Mariners hold the No. 3 overall pick. Who will the Mariners draft? Byron Buxton, a Georgia high school outfielder, is considered to be the top position player, but he might be off the board by the time the Mariners pick. Catcher Mike Zunino out of the University of Florida along with a trio of pitchers coming out of college (Mark Appel, Stanford) (Kyle ZImmer, San Francisco) (Kevin Gausman, LSU) are all possible selections as well. The draft begins at 4 p.m. PT and will be televised live on the MLB Network. Lookout Landing will keep you up to date on all the Mariners' picks.
Read more Seattle sports news and links after the jump.
Tweet of the Weekend:
Happening tonight: NBA playoffs and Stanley Cup finals. Two things we want to bring to Seattle in the coming years.— Sonics Arena (@sonicsarena) June 2, 2012
- Mariners 2, White Sox 4 [box]: Miguel Olivo was the player of the game for the Mariners. He drove in the team's only two runs in second inning when he blasted a 450-foot home run to deep center field. It was his third home run of the season. Game recap and analysis. Next game: Today, Seattle (24-31) at Los Angeles Angels (28-27), 7:05 p.m. PT, ROOT Sports, 9 games back.
- Storm 65, Sparks 67 [box]: L.A. Sparks rookie Nneka Ogwumike hit the game-winning shot, an off-balance runner with 2.1 seconds left on the clock. The Storm were led by Katie Smith who scored 19 points, Sue Bird chipped in 12 points and six assists. Should all of these losses have asterisks since Lauren Jackson is not playing? Next game: Wednesday, Seattle (1-4) at Minnesota (7-0), 5:00 p.m. PT, 5 games back.
- Brian Elsner at Wait For It Seattle and yours truly answered questions from Seattle sports fans in our latest mailbag column. In this edition we talk about the Mariners' draft, reliving the worst moments in Seattle sports history, and the ridiculousness of Rainier Beach HS athletics.
- Superb video scouting reports of Tony Wroten and Terrence Ross put together by Draft Express. Both videos include audio snippets from Lorenzo Romar with his take on their games.
- Congratulations to Seattle Times sports columnist Jerry Brewer and his wife Karen on their first child, Miles Warren Brewer. Read Jerry's heartfelt column to his son at the Seattle Times.
- Jamal Crawford highlights!
Jamal Crawford - "Silky Smooth" (via alexisNYK1)