clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Recap: WSU Dropped By Oklahoma State Cowboys, 65-17

Stillwater, OK (Sports Network) – Kendall Hunter opened the new season in style as the tailback rushed for 257 yards on 21 carries, leading the Oklahoma State Cowboys to a convincing, 65-17 decision over the Washington State Cougars in a non-conference tussle at Boone Pickens Stadium.

Hunter finished with four touchdowns in the contest for Oklahoma State (1-0), which totaled 544 yards on offense. Brandon Weeden was equally impressive for the Pokes, as the signal caller finished with 218 yards and three scores on 22-of-30 passing. His favorite target was Justin Blackmon, who hauled in all three touchdown passes, while finishing with 125 yards on eight catches.

As for the Cougars (0-1), they were led by quarterback Jeff Tuel, who threw for 212 yards and one touchdown, despite completing just 14-of-29 passes. Marquess Wilson was on the receiving end of Tuel’s touchdown pass and finished the contest with 108 yards on only four receptions.

It took less than a minute for the Cowboys to score in the new season, as Hunter plunged into the end zone on a three-yard run.

Hunter added his second score of the game midway through the opening frame, scampering into the end zone on a nine-yard run.

Oklahoma State’s dominance continued in the first quarter, as Dan Bailey’s 40- yard field goal capped off a 12-play, 57-yard drive.

The Cougars got on the board early in the second stanza when Nico Grasu connected on an amazing, 56-yard field goal.

Washington State continued to claw its way back when Tuel hit Wilson with a 48-yard touchdown pass with just over 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

However, the Cowboys wasted little time with their response, as Weeden hit Blackmon with a 42-yard scoring strike just 62 seconds later.

Weeden and Blackmon hooked up again, this time for a simple one-yard touchdown pass.

A two-yard touchdown run by Hunter on the final play of the second quarter pushed Oklahoma State’s lead to 38-10.

The Pokes continued their success in the second half, as Hunter found the end zone for the fourth time in the contest, this score going for 39 yards, while also pushing OSU’s edge to 45-10.

Weeden and Blackmon’s relationship continued to blossom in the third quarter, as the teammates connected on a third touchdown, this one going for 24 yards midway through the third frame.

After 34 unanswered points by Oklahoma State, the Cougars finally found the end zone when Logwone Mitz plunged across the goal line on a one-yard run.

With the game well in hand the reserves had a chance to get some playing time and Jeremy Smith made the most of it by scoring on a one-yard run late in the final frame.

The special teams got involved in the scoring as well, as Blackmon returned a blocked punt seven yards for a touchdown.

It was the 15th straight home opening win for Oklahoma State, which is a school record.

The 65 points were the most scored by the Pokes since scoring 66 in a victory over Baylor back in 2006.