March Madness is in full swing with close games finishing in rapid succession. Minutes before Penn State and Temple ended, Morehead State pulled the first major upset of the NCAA Tournament after a Demonte Harper three-pointer. Temple and Penn State rose to the challenge in the third consecutive game to feature a frantic final minute..
Temple took a three-point lead after Juan Fernandez hit two free throws, but Penn State was ready for the answer. Talor Battle spotted up and drilled a deep three with 11 seconds to go, tying the game.
Fernandez was the hero of the game, though, as he hit a leaning jumper with .4 seconds to go to give Temple a two-point lead. Penn State never got a desperation heave off and Temple advanced with a 66-64 win.
Four games, three involving late-game heroics. If you’re not watching March Madness, you’re missing out.
Here’s the rest of the West region bracket, updated after Temple’s win.
1. Duke Blue Devils vs. 16. Hampton Pirates
8. Michigan Wolverines vs. 9. Tennessee Volunteers
4. Texas Longhorns vs. 13. Oakland
5. Arizona Wildcats vs. 12. Memphis Tigers
3. Connecticut Huskies vs. 14. Bucknell
6. Cincinnati Bearcats vs. 11. Missouri Tigers
7. Temple Owls def. 10. Penn State Nittany Lions, 66-64
2. San Diego State vs. 15. Northern Colorado
Check out the rest of the NCAA Tournament bracket over at SB Nation for the latest updates. For the full television lineup, check out our March Madness schedule. Be sure to check back in with our NCAA Tournament results StoryStream for updates throughout the day.