Day 8 of the 2012 London Olympics saw 25 gold medals awarded, and athletes from the United States had a good shot at many of them. Kirkland, Washington native Jennie Reed was one of them, she picked up a silver medal in the women's team pursuit cycling event.
Gold medals for Team USA were the highlights of the day. Serena Williams earned one in women's singles tennis with a victory over Maria Sharapova, and Mike and Bob Bryan added another in men's doubles tennis. The men's and women's swim teams continued their success, picking up a gold medal each in their respective 4x100m medley relay events.
In preliminary team action, Team USA men's basketball was nearly upset by Lithuania, but a clutch performance from LeBron James helped them pull out the victory. Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh-Jennings continued their path to gold in women's beach volleyball, advancing out of the Round of 16 with a victory over the Netherlands.
A complete list of the medals won by Team USA on Saturday:
- Women's 100m - Carmelita Jeter, Silver
- Men's long jump - Will Claye, Bronze
- Men's 10,000m - Galen Rupp, Silver
- Women's team pursuit cycling - Silver
- Women's team epee fencing - Bronze
- Men's four rowing - Bronze
- Women's 50m rifle 3 positions shooting - Jamie Lynn Gray, Gold
- Women's 4x100m medley relay swim - Gold
- Men's 4x100m medley relay swim - Gold
- Women's singles tennis - Serena Williams, Gold
- Men's doubles tennis - Mike & Bob Bryan, Gold