The Mariners drafted catcher Mike Zunino out of the University of Florida with the No. 3 overall pick in the first round of the First-Year Player Draft on Monday. Zunino already has connections to the Mariners organization, Jack Zduriencik has known his parents for over 20 years, Mike's father is a professional baseball scout. Here is the transcript of his conference call with reporters. Read in-depth analysis on Zunino at Lookout Landing.
Read more Seattle sports news and links after the jump.
Monday's Tweet of the Day:
55 runs in 6 games for the #Mariners. I'm telling you they'll be back to .500 or above in 21 days. At a maximum. Watch it happen.— Dave Softy Mahler (@Softykjr) June 5, 2012
- Mariners 8, Angels 6 [box]: The Mariners bullpen held off the Angels offense, giving starter Jason Vargas and his team the win on Monday night. Seattle's offense is beginning to come alive, Munenori Kawasaki started at shortstop and went 2-for-3 and drove in three runs. The Angels' Ervin Santana only lasted 4.2 innings, giving up seven earned over eight hits and six walks to the Mariners. Also, there will not be a Felix day on Wednesday, though, he's not being put on the DL according to Eric Wedge. Next game: Today, Seattle (25-32) vs. Los Angeles Angels (28-28), 7:05 p.m. PT, ROOT Sports, 8.0 games back.
- Sounders Women 3, Colorado Rapids 0: Seattle stayed undefeated in their dominating victory over the Rapids in Monday night's match at Starfire. They are tied in the W-league with the Pali Blues for first place in the Western Conference. Alex Morgan scored the first goal of the night in the third minute, while Lyndsey Patterson put in another goal in the ninth minute off of a pass from Morgan. Stephanie Cox scored the team's final goal in the 87th minute. Head over to Sounder at Heart for coverage on the Sounders Women. Next game: Friday, Sounders Women (4-0) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (0-3-1), 7:00 p.m. PT.
- ESPN's Kevin Gemmell talks with UW cornerback Desmond Trufant.
- DraftExpress interviews Tony Wroten during a draft workout in Los Angeles. Rush the Court profiles Wroten.
- SeaTown Sports interviews Shorewood HS basketball standout Josh Hawkinson.