The passing of Johnie Kirton brought feelings of shock and sadness to his family, friends, teammates and coaches on Tuesday. The former Washington Husky football player was found dead in his hotel room on Monday night in Santa Clara, Calif., he was a member of the San Jose SaberCats, an Arena Football League team. Kirton attended Jackson HS in Mill Creek before joining the Huskies. Here is his obituary from the Seattle Times.
Read more Seattle sports links and news after the jump.
My heartaches for the loss of a man I grew up with. A man that I always loved seeing. Have peace in Gods presence Johnie Kirton!— Brent Lillibridge (@BSLillibridge) May 29, 2012
- Seattle 10, Texas 3 [box]: The eighth inning was beautiful. Bases loaded. Hit after hit after hit. The six runs scored by the Mariners equaled the most they've scored in one inning all season long. Mariners catcher John Jaso finished 2-for-5 with 2 RBIs and 2 runs scored. Next game: Today, Mariners (22-30) vs. Rangers (31-19), 5:05 p.m. PT, ROOT Sports, 10 games back.
- Dave Cameron from USS Mariner explains the faulty logic behind Eric Wedge's choice to craft his lineup based on batter/pitcher match-up data.
- The Sounders begin their quest for their fourth straight U.S. Open Cup championship on Wednesday in a first round matchup against the Atlanta Silverbacks at Starfire. Limited tickets are still available for the match, but the game will also be streamed live on SoundersFC.com at 7:00 p.m. PT. Sounder at Heart discusses the possible starting lineups for Wednesday's game and Friday's match against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
- Chris Hansen and his stadium investment group launched their web campaign on Tuesday, opening up an official website, Facebook page, and Twitter account. The group also announced an arena rally event scheduled for Thursday, June 14th 4:00 p.m. PT at Occidental Park in Seattle.
- Skyline's Max Browne is No. 5 overall in Rivals' latest rankings of 2013 football prospects. The future USC Trojan is the No. 1 QB in his class.
- A bit dated, but here's another Sonics-related video...this time it's of Shawn Kemp telling us he's a better dunker than THE Blake Griffin. Agree?
Shawn Kemp speaks on Blake Griffin and Lob City [Sonicsgate Bonus #15] (via Sonicsgate)