Mariners 6, Yankees 2 [box]: The score was 6-2 for the third straight game, but this time the Mariners had the W next to their name. In his first start since 2010, Andy Pettitte gave up four runs in seven innings pitched. Justin Smoak and Casper Wells each hit two-run home runs off of the 17-year veteran in the fourth and sixth innings respectively. Kevin Millwood, in his 16th year in the majors, went seven innings, striking out six and giving up one run over three hits. Jeff Sullivan from Lookout Landing breaks down the Mariners' victory. Next game: Today, Mariners (16-20) at Boston (15-19), 4:10 p.m. PT, ROOT Sports, 7.5 games back
Read more Seattle sports news and links after the jump.
Tweet of the Weekend:
Ok, I am officially a Laker fan now. For a series anyways. Beat OKC! #BringBackTheSonics— Matt Metzger (@MattMetzger22) May 13, 2012
- Shannon Drayer from 710 ESPN asks if Ichiro might be moved out of the three-hole in the lineup.
- The Sounders lost their first game since March this past Saturday against Real Salt Lake, 1-0. Sigi Schmid's squad won six straight games leading into Saturday's match. The Sounders are third place in the Western Conference standings and are only four points behind first place Real Salt Lake.
- Mason Kelley from the Seattle Times releases his final 4A and 3A high-school baseball rankings. Entering this past week as the No. 1 team in the state with a 19-0 record, the Seattle Prep Panthers went 1-2 in the Metro League Tournament and failed to advance to the regional round of the state tournament. For a calculated version of the state rankings, check out ScoreCzar's computer rankings here.
- Washington's softball team earned the No. 16 overall seed in the NCAA Tournament and will be hosting a regional for the third straight season. The Huskies started the season 32-1 but hit a rough stretch when conference play began. Entering the tournament, the Huskies have lost seven straight games, with their last win coming against Oregon State on April 21st.
- Here are some Terrence Ross highlights to make you happy: