No one saw this coming. The draft board could not have worked any better in the Seahawks' favor on Thursday night. General Manager John Schneider was even able to trade down to No. 15 and gain two more picks in the process. The Mel Kipers and Todd McShays of the world still believed the Seahawks would either draft Quinton Coples or Melvin Ingram.
However, Pete Carroll and Schneider opted for a different, faster and more controversial pick, Bruce Irvin out of West Virginia. The initial common fan reaction was a mixture of shock, disappointment and confusion. Irvin's off-the-field issues have been documented and he simply was not valued as highly as Coples or Ingram. After the pick settled in the heads of the Seahawks fan base, and Carroll and Schneider explained their thought process, their motives seemed at the least, well-informed. Irvin brings speed — a trait that the Seahawks wanted in a pass-rusher.
Former Bellevue HS standout David DeCastro of Stanford was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers at No. 24 in the first round. Despite his status as one of the best offensive guard prospects in recent memory, DeCastro fell all the way to Steelers as teams simply did not have an immediate need at offensive guard.
Rounds two and three continue today. Be sure to follow our StoryStream to stay updated on the Seahawks.
Read more Seattle sports links after the jump.
Thursday's Tweet of the Day:
- Seattle 5, Detroit 4 [box]: Sweep! Shoutout to Chone Figgins for the game-winning double in the seventh inning. The Mariners are now .500. Justin Smoak and Miguel Olivo also hit home runs in the victory. Mariners (10-10) vs. Tigers (10-9), 4:07 p.m. PT, ROOT Sports, 5.5 games back.
- Lookout Landing calls for the firing of Mariners manager Eric Wedge.
- Alex Akita from Seattle Sportsnet makes 11 hilarious Wonka Mariner memes.
- Tacoma-native Avery Bradley is carving a niche out for himself on the Boston Celtics writes Paul Flannery from The Classical.
- Enumclaw HS hired Mark Gunderson as their new head football coach.
T-Will Throw Down (via kingsflix)
Have a story to share? Tweet me @KevinCacabelos